Hello UCSB! My name is Tyler Ferguson and I am running to be your next On-Campus Senator.
In a year of uncertainty, anxiety, and chaos, I want to return the power to the students’ hands, where it belongs. I am one of you. I hate the pettiness and toxicity of Associated Students and the two party system. A.S. should be about helping students, not about personal or partisan enrichment. You deserve leaders who are in this fight for you, not for themselves or their party. That is why I am running as an independent. You also deserve honesty and straightforwardness. You are adults and deserve to be treated that way. As such, I will not follow the typical candidate statement where students make tired, impossible, and impractical promises like free wifi on the beach or building a multimillion dollar new University Center that raises your cost of attending UCSB. Instead, I pledge to you to provide necessary, common-sense changes to campus policy, and promise to work tirelessly every day in serving you as your next On-Campus Senator.
In my time at UCSB, I have:
- Served as a Senator: Sponsored legislation to create two International Student Senator seats to ensure equitable representation for all students, allocated $80,000 in emergency relief grants to students impacted by the Coronavirus Pandemic, established two new Associated Students Boards to promote art, culture, and political activism on campus, and passed a resolution supporting rolling over leftover meal plan swipes in the dining halls.
- Chaired Isla Vista Arts Board: Ran weekly executive Board meetings, sponsored and hosted virtual art and culture events for UCSB students, and provided a creative outlet for students to express themselves through.
- Worked side by side with the student body President as Executive Assistant: opened job applications for students to get involved on campus in student government, hired multiple students to fill vacant positions in the Office of the President, and worked tirelessly to make UCSB a better place for all students.
- Represented UCSB students on the Committees of Honoraria, Finance and Business, Internal Affairs, Basic Needs, and the COVID-19 Task Force.
As your next On-Campus Senator, I will:
- Fight for more financial relief for UCSB students by creating grants from excess funds, collaborating with other A.S. executives and boards such as the A.S. Office of the President and the Isla Vista Tenants Union to focus on COVID-19’s impact on our campus community, and meeting with UCSB administration and local elected officials to lobby for more financial assistance.
- Strive to lower your tuition, student fees, and overall cost of attendance.
- Vote against any Senate legislation that misuses your student fees.
- Expand resources for CAPS and CARE.
- Be an advocate for your needs; I will always be there to listen to and voice your concerns.
It is extremely rare for someone to run for a second term to the Senate. Most Senators are one and done. This job requires unwavering dedication to fighting for students and their needs-- and I pledge to you that I am in this fight for you for the long run.
For an empathetic, driven, and experienced On-Campus Senator, write in Tyler Ferguson on GOLD on April 19th through the 23rd.