Do you support continued funding of $3.11* (of which $0.48 is return to aid, $2.63 will go to Campus Radio) per AS/UCSB Membership per quarter (fall, winter, spring) and $2.71* (of which $0.48 is return to aid fee, $2.23) for summer quarter for Campus Radio 91.9 KCSB-FM/KJUC-AM?
1. We are the only non commercial, non-profit, campus and community-oriented radio station run by 17 paid student staff leaders in the tri-county area. Our listenership reaches from San Luis Obispo to Camarillo, a potential audience of over one million people. We are the only full-power, independent radio station in the 805 area and have served our community for over 57 years, offering to students and community members the hands-on experience to produce and engineer their own alternative, free-form radio show.
2. Our KJUC-AM station, allows anyone to undergo a quarterly training program in which they learn how to produce and engineer their own radio show; we invite any music, cultural arts, or public affairs program.
3. KCSB-FM hosts annually about 30 events every year with efforts to reach as many demographics in our diverse community. We consistently recruit and provide opportunities for students, faculty, and the 805 community to engage in radio’s behind the scenes, with orientations at the start of every quarter.
4. Serving a campus which currently has no courses in broadcast journalism, KCSB is the only location on campus which can provide this kind of learning experience for students.
5. There are different points of experience and knowledge among our 100+ volunteer base that are of educational value to UCSB students. There are a number of programmers who have a deep history with activist media and movements that are nationally recognized for their work. Moreover, our range of music programmers as well as our 57-year-old CD & vinyl collection can provide an education in music unique from what can be provided from the Music Department or from Special Collections.